Saturday, September 8, 2012

the long walk home

FOR THOSE WHO DON'T GET WHY I ALWAYS WANT A RIDE HOME AFTER EVENTS & CHOOSE *NOT* TO GO IF I DON'T GET ONE... LET'S TAKE TONIGHT AS AN EXAMPLE OF WHY...

After midnight on a first Friday is not a time I wanted to walk home alone. But since I couldn't find anyone with a car to take me and needed to be up in the morning. I took the risk to walk the 10 blocks.

At about the halfway mark a guy's voice calls out behind me "Hey" and I turn around thinking it was someone I knew from the house party I just passed that a lot of my friends were at. "I'm not trying to be Mister Creepy Guy" says a moderate build man shaped shadow in all black. "If I don't know you, I don't want to talk to you" I say and keep walking. I look back and he's stopped so I keep walking and pick up the pace.

"I'll give you a cigarette!" he calls after me. "I don't smoke!" I call back. "I'll give you $20 and a cigarette" the man shadow says, still following me. "No thanks!" I reply. He still follows. I say "Fuck off!" but he STILL follows me. I reach in my purse and say "I'm pulling out my phone and calling 911" (my phone happened to NOT be in my purse but HE didn't know that). "Go ahead" man shadow says. Creep factor level up 1,000% I cross the street and he crosses as well.

I start screaming at the top of my lungs running down the street towards the nearest house that I knew someone who lived there (about a block away). He STILL followed. There was a woman and man sitting on the front steps of the house across the street from where I was headed and the lady asked me if I was OK. "No! there is some strange guy following me!" She invites me to come and sit with them and I take the offer. Creepy shadow guy walks up to the wall saying "I just wanted to give you $20 & a cigarette" throwing the items mentioned over the gate as he kept walking.

I stayed shaken on the steps of my newfound friends Gia and James while James watched to be sure the guy was actually leaving and not lurking around the corner. He even got on his motorcycle to cruise the block to be absolutely sure. While he was gone Gia offered me a glass of wine and I took it even though I don't normally drink. I laughed it off a bit since the worst seemed to be over "at least I got 20 bucks out of it I guess"

Just as James was back from bike patrol, my friend Zee stopped at the sign in front of the house. I got a ride home from Zee and am now safely in my room typing this... shaken... but safe.

Strange guys approach me and usually "I don't know you" puts them off me. When that doesn't work "Fuck off" usually does... and in the rare occaision that doesn't work, screaming DEFINITELY does... but to run screaming down the street and have this guy do the Michael Myers/Jason slow killer walk behind me was a bit much. I was hoping to get some sleep because I have stuff to do tomorrow, but I don't see sleep coming any time soon at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment