Sunday, September 16, 2012

Poem: Altered Reality

.

I wrote a poem today...




it feels too easy to fake perfection these days
photo shop ourselves into an alternate reality
make everything ugly beautiful
make everything beautiful ugly
we have assigned a new paradigm
but is it really to our benefit
to alter the reality that eventually
we will have to deal with

this wasn't supposed to be about drugs
but about internet memes passing my eyes
then my mind realized the correlation
the connection between fungus and fate
the link between herb and existence
how a horse can race through veins sometimes
and how we swallow the lie of liquid courage

I feel friends all over the country fighting
inside themselves with what they once were
each day a new victory or a new struggle
fallen angels scratching out 3rd eye images
in favor of what seems to be an easier road

I won't pretend to understand their situation
the deep falling into the place where numbness rests
the disappearance of time into the folds of space
how bright things shine brighter
and the darkness falls deeper than infinity

this new bird in the skies of twisted vision
has downy near feathers that can only glide
I have not worked wing muscles to strength
have not used food or rent money for a fix
do not know the dark thoughts that push
over edges that only meditation can cure

who knew stillness could be so hard
to look into that abyss and face oneself

I slid down an acid road into it once
even then I did not face the pain
I only braved my own closed eyes
called visions of sarcastic unicorns named Gary
and pink crowned Haclyon double rainbow summers
they comforted my passage over Styx
as I returned from my inner Hades

I don't have any answers
no way to fix reeds bent by the wind
who don't feel strong enough
to stand straight on their own

I am hoping that somehow
this prayer in poem form can be heard
sent via my spirit to them all
and that right now today
they can feel their own light
and be well











.

No comments:

Post a Comment