Friday, April 8, 2011

a new form every day... day 1 = Acrostic (day 1, poem 2 of 365 poems in 365 days)

.


THIS NEW DAY, THIS NEW YEAR, THIS NEW AGE

Time being a human construct having no meaning
Having no bearing on truth or reality
I find myself still measuring my days
Still holding on to this illusion

New hours, minutes, seconds
Every change of the clock
Winds me closer to something

Days measure me
And weeks hold me
Years and months mark me

This is the madness I live
Headlong into a calendar
Inner thoughts manifesting
Simply the only thing that truly counts

New days, weeks, months
Every turn of the calendar
Wins another small battle

Yet I can see my dearest hopes
Each moment I work towards them
A new mind is needed
Rather than a new time

Today is the right time
Here is the right place
Inside me is where I find
Supplies to make my world

New cells, skin, body
Energy forms me and this is real
Wavering never happens in that

Another thing to be mindful of
Generating my own needs
Every moment has become mine







***********************************

FOR THE UNINITIATED:

Acrostic poetry is a form of short verse and constructed by a placing capitalised word or phrase vertically down the page to form the initial letters of each line of poetry. Each line is used to relate to the word, or praise the subject, if it is a ladies name for example.

The term is derived from the Greek words akros, "at the end," and stichos, "line," and was popular in Greece during the Alexandrine period and later with the Latin playwrights Ennuis and Plautus. Much later again, it became popular during the Italian Renaissance periods.

Originally the form also rhymed, and Turco in his book states this, however, in schools where poetry is taught as part of the syllabus, it states that the poem does not have to rhyme, and I suppose free verse exponents would agree with this, (and probably wrote the curriculum). So the choice is yours, Classic or Modern.
In summary:

# May use one word or a phrase, placed vertically down the page.

# One letter per line, all must be capital letters

# Each line of poetry must begin with the letter on that line and must relate to the word, or phrase using adjectives and phrases to describe that word
# Does not have to rhyme.



.

No comments:

Post a Comment